Year Two – 2013-14
Last year we focused on preparing secondary students for two possible coastal adventures in May.
- Salspring Island – an exploration ocean ecosystems and island community
- Juan de Fuca Marine Trail – a 47 km backpacking trip along with southwest coast of Vancouver Island
For much of the year we spent Wednesday afternoons preparing for these adventures, including planning, learning outdoor skills, improving our physical conditioning, learning more about these places, and being involved locally to raise funds to cover expenses.
Year One – 2012-13
Crawford Bay secondary students and chaperones returned on March 27, 2013 from a seventeen-day humanitarian adventure to Oaxaca, Mexico. During this experience we were directly involved in:
- Spanish lessons at the Oaxacan Cultural Institute (www.icomexico.com);
- Microfinance projects with En Via (www.envia.org);
- Caring for babies, children, and youth through Hijos de la Luna (www.hijosdelaluna-en.org) and Esperanza Infantil (www.oaxacastreetchildrengrassroots.org)
- Ecotourism and agricultural projects in La Neveria (www.ecoturismoenoaxaca.com/laneveria.html);
- Permaculture and earthen oven-building with Tierra del Sol (http://tierradelsol.org.mx/web/?lang=en); and
- Visits to cultural and heritage sites (www.sacred-destinations.com/mexico/oaxaca-monte-alban.htm)
Thanks you to our incredible community for generously supporting this awareness-raising and experiential project!